[lug] Recommendations for Linux Compatible External Printer Servers

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Thu Mar 29 06:53:02 MST 2001

	I wanted to ask the group's advice on the best, Linux compatible,
external printer servers. These are the variety that plug into an TP
ethernet network (TCP/IP) and the parallel port of a standard printer,
essentially making a non-network printer into a network printer.

	In the past I have used Intel's Netport boxes, and while they do
work with Linux (i.e. they have lpd support), they are not too reliable
(have to be rebooted at least once a week) and they require a Windows box
to boot.
	I have also used HP's 300x series of print servers, which is
essentially an external jetdirect device and these also work fine with
Linux (w/lpd support) and do not require any external device to work.
Additionally they are significantly more reliable, uptimes of 100 days is
easily possible. Even better, they have an integrated web server for easy
checking of their status. The major disadvantage to them is their
excessively high price (~$300+).

	I am looking for a print server that can boot w/o a network
server, or at the very least could use tftpd of a Linux box, and is
relatively inexpensive (<$150). Cost is an issue as these are for a small
local company I am sysadmin for, and we have 5-10 printers that currently
somewhat supported by the Netports (which have 2 parallel ports), but we
are re-arrange office space such that no two printers will be near each
other at all (i.e. one printer => one printer server). So, $300 a printer,
especially when most are old dot matrix line printers for invoice and
check printing it a bit out of the question.
	Additionally, if I was to pay $300 for a print server, I would
sooner go out and build a low end Linux box (i.e. 486 or such) that I
would have complete configuration control over than be stuck with HP's
rather limited jetdirect interface.

	So, anyone know of an inexpensive, standalone, Linux compatible
print server, or do I go building a bunch of Linux boxes to act as
such? Thanks!

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |