[lug] RH 7.1: Multiple problems

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Apr 2 16:07:40 MDT 2001

"Scott A. Herod" wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I made the mistake of upgrading to RH 7.1 on Thur. and I was wondering
> if anyone else had noticed the following and knew how to deal with them?
>
> 1) /etc/X11/prefdm implies that you can set your desktop login
> to use kde2 rather than just kde but sets "preferred" to
> /usr/lib/kde2/bin/kdm which doesn't exist.  ( KDE still works. )

My 7.1 beta machine is similar. The list of rpm's installed shows kde,
but not kde2. I'm wondering if these are just libs and the rpm for the
actual kdm of kde2 is not really installed? Or possibly the kdm of
/usr/bin/ is really version 2, and a sym link would fix it? I wasn't
able to determine a version from the kdm command itself, it ended up
trying to run kdm whatever argument I used (like --version or -version),
so I can't tell what the version command is (no man page either).