[lug] sendmail won't send mail

Cory Dekker cory at sysmgrs.com
Mon Apr 2 21:16:24 MDT 2001

> Unable to lock mailbox: Permission denied

This pretty much indicates that you have a permissions problem, probably
related to either "/var/spool/mail", or "/var/spool/mail/friejas"
Make sure "mail" is root/mail/770, and "friejas" is friejas/mail/660.
Once your sure that /bin/mail is working, try tightening "friejas" to 600.
Some boxes will want "/var/spool/mail" 1777 or 1775, with the sticky
bit set for certain mail programs, and read/search access for other users.
However, if you keep your system tight, you should be able to run 770.
If these doesn't do the job, you may have a bogus lockfile laying around
that has its own permissions problem, and is refusing to be deleted.

As for the sendmail command-line problem, it could be any one of a
number of possibilities.  However, sendmail was never intended to be
used for command-line e-mail generation, even though what you did
SHOULD probably work.  Rather than go through all of the possible
things you should/could check: your sendmail.cf file, your "sendstuff"
content format, and other configuration files, all of which could play
a factor (including aliases, hosts, passwd, and all of the /etc/mail files);
let me just suggest a tool more designed and intended for you use:

$ /bin/mail friejas <sendstuff

It should handle properly pre-formatting the message in a much more
reliable fashion, prior to handing the message off to sendmail.

BTW, if you are really headstrong about this, use the sendmail -v idea,
and maybe -d9, -U, -o DeliveryMode=i, and perhaps even some of the
other -o options ... per the Sendmail Installation and Operations Guide.

                                                -Cory

Stop unwanted phone solicitors!  Enact www.ColoradoNoCall.org