[lug] Linux education/classes

Dhruva Reddy sledgehammer2010 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 10 09:51:17 MDT 2001

I have come across a few people who would like to
learn more about Linux.  As much as I would like to
help these people discover all open source software
has to offer, I cannot always spend as much time with
them as I would like.

It would be really cool to have more classes geared
toward these people.  I think it would go a long way
towards raising awareness and perhaps winning more
support.  I see the following classes:

  -Linux for Windows users
  -Linux for Mac users
  -Linux for Apple IIe users (just kidding)
  -Linux for the computer illiterate (yes, these
people  still do exist!)

These classes could cover the following:

  -What Linux is.
  -What benefits Linux offers, and why you may (or may
not) want to use it.
  -The wonderful support system (such as this mailing
list), how to utilize it, and what it offers over
"traditional" phone support.
  -Installation issues.

As difficult as it is (for me, anyway), it would
probably be best to refrain from evangelizing, and
focus on how Linux can meet the user's needs.

If I had the time and support, I would seriously
consider offering free (as in speech, not just beer)
classes.

So far, the only places in an enterprise setting that
I have seen Linux is on developer-supported machines
that have been wrangled from the IT department after a
fierce battle (sure is worth the fight, though :-)
Therefore, I cannot really comment on the value of any
kind of Linux certification.

Thanks,
Dhruva