[lug] New VeriSign Cert Not Recognized by Netscape

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Tue Apr 10 22:17:31 MDT 2001

OK, my certificate is signed by a VeriSign signing certificate
labeled "Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority".

My browser includes a certificate signer with that description,
however none of the dates or other identifying marks match.

Hm... OK, looking at the certificates, it looks like there are
a three levels of trust implied in my cert. The VeriSign
certificate used to sign my certificate was signed by a known
certificate (the one mentioned above).

I've sent an email off to VeriSign about this. I should *not*
be getting this error.

Evelyn Mitchell wrote:

> >From within Netscape:
>
>    Communicator: Tools: Security Info: Certificates: Signers
>
> has the full list of Certificate signers that your browser is
> set up to accept.
>
> You may want to verify that Verisign is still on that list (there
> should be 10 or so Verisign certificates).
>
> Evelyn Mitchell
> efm at tummy.com
>
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 09:28:44PM -0600, Rob Riggs wrote:
> > We just set up a new pair of secure web servers at work. We
> > received a new VeriSign certificate for these servers, but
> > Netscape 4.76 running on my home and work Linux workstations
> > do not recognize the issuing authority. IE 5.5 seems to have
> > no problem with the certificate.
> >
> > I've never entered a site using a VeriSign certificate that
> > my browser didn't recognize and this is causing me some
> > concern.
> >
> > Has anyone else run across this? Is this something I should
> > complain about to VeriSign?
> >
> > --
> > Rob Riggs
> > http://www.pangalactic.org/