[lug] Linux education/classes

Cory Dekker cory at sysmgrs.com
Tue Apr 10 23:09:00 MDT 2001

Speaking as someone who is RHCE certified, I have mixed
feelings about the value of the certification, or the test process.

In my humble opinion (20+ yrs as a UNIX SA), it's a rather
poor over-all measure of a "RedHat Engineer", in that it really
only tests 1) installation skills, 2) book knowledge of the OS,
and 3) H/W & system problem diagnostic and resolution skills.
Nothing of significance about WHY you might do something,
or have a system configured this way or that.  Nothing of any
significance on performance or tuning, and nothing in the areas
of operations, maintenance, or day-to-day administration and
management.  Also, in the 3 areas that it does focus on, skills
at time management and "test taking" are as much, or MORE,
critical than actual RedHat techincal skills.  I've seen engineers
who know ALOT more than I do, fail the test.

However, for those 3 areas, you WILL NOT get through the
test unless you know what you're doing.  So, in that measure,
it serves a purpose.  I also consider it a good measure for any
systems administrator who is wanting to try consultanting, and
will be mainly focused on doing scratch installs & fire-fighting.
You won't pass unless you're good in both of these areas, and
I say "good", because there is VERY little margin for making
mistakes while taking the test.  A good dose of luck helps too.

When I took the test, I also took a 4-day "review" class just
before taking it.  In hind sight, I would probably not have been
able to pass it without the focused review.  The course was the
one done by RedHat.  The instructor, Joe Kirby, was good,
despite some of the circumstances he had to try to work within.

Net result: RHCE: Fair as a measure for any consultant you
might call to do an install, or fix a system.  Nice on a resume.
Lack of certification really doesn't mean that much currently.
Not a meaningful measure of a Linux system admin's skills.

                                                -Cory