[lug] OT: *BSD

Riggs, Robert RRiggs at doubleclick.net
Wed Apr 11 09:02:13 MDT 2001

I think your average BSD user may be a bit different now, but the whole
reason Linux took off and quicly eclipsed *BSD was the community of users.
Linux users were far more eager to share in their own wonderment of Linus'
creation and helping newbies along with the Linux installation.

I, and many others like me, actually tried FreeBSD first (this was a
long time ago), only to be turned off by the dismissiveness or outright
rudeness of the BSD crowd toward newbies. For me it seems rather
natural that there *would not be* a FreeDSB user's group -- the users
I ran across never seemed like the type to do that sort of thing.

I don't think that it is an accident that Linux has most of the mind
share, nor that people do develop a sentimental fondness for it.