UPDATE: [lug] problems manually configuring IP...

celttechie (Brian Jarrett) celttechie at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 13:33:54 MDT 2001

After doing some packet captures from the debian box I have determined that
the arp cache is not getting updated even though the machine sends out an
arp request and receives an arp reply.  As a matter of fact, it seems to be
continually asking for 10.0.0.250 which is my gateway (and receives a reply
each time).  Since the arp cache is not getting updated, I decided to add a
static entry to 10.0.0.162.  Packet captures now show that the machine sends
out an ICMP echo (ping) and 10.0.0.162 sends out the echo reply.  The
machine STILL does not register any packets coming back in on the interface!

The machine obviously isn't processing any packets coming back in the
interface.  Running ifconfig reveals that interface eth0 has received no
packets, yet all of the communication is present on the wire.

Any ideas?  The only other thing I could think of was IPCHAINS but I have to
update that because it won't run with my present kernel (2.2.17) and I
hadn't configured it anyway.  What else could be blocking incoming packets?

Brian