UPDATE: [lug] problems manually configuring IP...

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Thu Apr 12 14:12:29 MDT 2001

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, celttechie (Brian Jarrett) wrote:

> The machine obviously isn't processing any packets coming back in the
> interface.  Running ifconfig reveals that interface eth0 has received no
> packets, yet all of the communication is present on the wire.

This is a multiport card isn't it?  The cards are supposed to autodect the
active port (10baseT, or 10base2, etc.), but I've had several cards fail
to do this correctly.  You might want to check and see if the card is
talking on the port you think it is.  If your network starts on bootup
there should be a report from the module in your boot screen info, try:

   dmesg | more

If this is the case, your machine will think everything is working, but it
won't be able to see the net.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)