[lug] Stumped by Samba

DeVerter at robinsonmechanical.com DeVerter at robinsonmechanical.com
Fri Apr 13 09:30:31 MDT 2001

     I'll apologize first for the length but I figure the more detail the
better, right???
     I am building up a new SMB server for my network.  I copied
/etc/smb.conf from a current SMB server I have running making appropriate
changes when necessary (share names, netbios name).  No errors are returned
by testparm.
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start
starting smb services:        [ok]
starting nmb services:        [ok]
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb status
smbd (pid xxxx) is running...
nmbd (pid xxxx) is running

Looks good so far...
The netbios name becomes available in windows network neighborhood but
double-clicking returns:
\\Rmc10 is not accessable.
I have built proper user accounts on the smb box.  So now I use smbclient
to inspect it form Linux:
# smbclient -U% -L rmc10
Sharename Type Comment
--------  ---  -----
dos       disk network drive
IPC$      IPC  IPC Service (Samba 2.0.6 on rmc10)

Server              Comment
-----               --------
RMC10          Samba 2.0.6 on rmc10

Workgroup      Master
--------       ------
RMC

     So there it is, nothing shows up under master browser.  Using the same
command replacing the hostname (rmc3, my other smb box)  tells me the
master browser name (an nt box on the network).  My two smb's are identical
except that: rmc10 is dual NIC and is RH6.2 with a  kernel version
2.4.2(needed for Mylex RAID controller driver(DAC960)).  I have exhausted
my O'Reilly 'Using Samba' so any help you can throw at me I would
appreciate.

Happy Friday,
Mark d.