[lug] insight as gdb frontend?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Apr 13 11:24:23 MDT 2001

Tom Tromey wrote:

> D> If this is the same as the front end that I got with my commercial
> D> Cygnus Code Fusion, then it indeed has a few bugs. I have yet to
> D> get it to work right. On multiple machines (both SMP), stopping a
> D> debug causes reboot.
>
> Two notes:
>
> * It is the "same" Insight in the sense that the 2.4 kernel is the
>   "same" as the 2.2 kernel.  The program changes over time.  Code
>   Fusion was a long time ago...
>
> * Anything that causes a spurious reboot is a priori a kernel-level
>   bug.  You can't blame Insight for what you saw.
>
> Tom

No doubt it has improved over time. But as far as the reboot thing, it
does on two different chipsets, 3 different 2.2.x kernels, and 2
different 2.4.x kernels. I think it has a weakness in SMP, that isn't
entirely the kernel's fault, unless there is some long-standing and
unknown bug that has traversed through all the kernels since several
years back.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com