[lug] Mandrake 7.1 fails to boot.

Dhruva Reddy sledgehammer2010 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 09:45:49 MDT 2001

I'm not familiar with what I think you're doing
(installing Linux on vfat-type partitions), but here's
a little background.

If you want to use a volume (be it a disk partition,
CD or floppy drive), that volume must be mounted.
Linux (as well as, I believe, most Unices), allow (and
sometimes expect) you to do this explicitly.

In order to do anything, your kernel must be able to
mount the root partition.  In your case, your kernel
cannot mount the root partition (somewhat analogous to
drive C:\ in Windows), so of course the kernel cannot
proceed.

There are several reasons this could happen.  I have
had this happen to me when the root partition was on a
SCSI drive, and the driver for the SCSI controller was
unavailable.

If I were you, I might start by asking myself where
Linux was installed.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
Dhruva