[lug] I wish RH users would secure... (D. Stimits)

Gary Frerking garyf at turbopower.com
Wed Apr 18 11:51:49 MDT 2001

>> I *really really really* would like to see all RH users

>> follow the security email list from RH (it gets tiring

>> to see the number of RH machines used to attack others).

>> If you are a RH user and permanently connected to the

>> net, you *will* get cracked if you dont'udpate and secure.

While I understand your frustration (and your point), I think it's safe
to say that if you're running *any* unpatched year-old distro with
services like ftp exposed to the world, you're asking for trouble.

RH may be getting the press and attracting the attention of the hackers
at the moment, but RH isn't the only distro running WU-FTP (and WU-FTP
isn't the only FTP daemon with security problems over the last year).

IMHO, life would be a lot easier if EVERYONE made a reasonable effort to
secure their systems no matter what they were.

Blinding assuming you're safe because you're not using RH is just as
reckless as not keeping up with RH errata.

-- Gary