[lug] Today is Mandrake Day

ljp ljp at llornkcor.com
Wed Apr 18 17:50:01 MDT 2001

At 13:18 4/18/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Last night I decided to dispose of Solaris 8 on my fastest PC at home
>and replace it with Mandrake 7.2. Nothing but trouble. I got discouraged
>enough to give up and install FreeBSD 4.2 (smooth and beautiful), but
>today I'm inclined to try again, since I really want a Linux system on
>this particular box.

Why would you want to install linux over freeBSD?
Personally, I'd try SuSE, but then, i'm sorta particular
:)

>Basically, here's the problem: during install, if I choose "recommended"
>software packages, the install fails and reports a long list of "unable
>to install <such-n-such>". If I choose "complete", the package
>installation seems to go fine, but the last step, configuring X, fails
>brutally. It loops with "unable to find SVGA server" and then tries
>again, fails, etc. If I kill the install program at this point, I can
>boot to runlevel 3, but the system spits out a flood of "floppy read"
>errors, continuously (and nothing I'm doing is trying to read the floppy
>drive, and install was totally CD).

Instead of killing the installation, try to just cancel your last action,
and keep going forward if you can.
You can usually fix /etc/X11/XF86Config later.. somehow, most of the time.
I've had some nightmare installs for redhat 5... ouch.

ljp