[lug] rmmod -a in cron

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Apr 19 00:04:26 MDT 2001

So...

I'm wondering why a kernel RPM upgrade on an older RedHat machine (6.1)
put a crontab in that does an rmmod -a every so often?

Is there a "this is the right thing to do" kind of explanation for it?

It really caused a friend and I some grief on a machine that needed the
soundcard module available 100% of the time, but where there could be
gaps in when the application software actually was using the card.

(Actually the problem is, when you yank out the sound card with rmmod -a
in a 2.2.17 kernel, it segfaults the mixer application, aumix, never to
return again... and the default level settings without aumix loaded are
so low nothing can reasonably be done with them.)

So there's probably more than one question hiding in here, but any
enlightenment would be appreciated...

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>