[lug] Free computers on Saturday?

Deva Samartha blug-receive at mtbwr.net
Thu Apr 19 13:40:03 MDT 2001

At 12:51 PM 4/19/2001 -0600, you wrote:

>So basically we could put one of these things together and have people
>pay us to give us the hardware to build a Beowulf? Interesting...

I hope you are kidding.

But seriously, conditions:

- accept _any_ computer equipment brought to you, or do you want to have a
conditional acceptance of equipment, like Jim's mom calling up - can I
bring you this?

- have maybe a rate of 10:1 to get a working machine - 10 coming in,
checking, disassembling, fixing, reassembling, what to do with the unusable
stuff?

- have heterogeneous hardware of unknown origin, condition, reliability and
failure rate to do what - reliable high performance computing?

Not in my garden, I'd rather grow Tomatoes ;-)

What would be the computer hardware component which could theoretically
derived from salvage parts in a budget of running a Beowulf cluster? Zilch
by my books!

S.

PS: Sounds more like the real story: