[lug] I wish RH users would secure... (D. Stimits)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Apr 19 23:47:22 MDT 2001

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 01:37:32PM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
>It is the part about attracting the attention of crackers that I am
>looking most closely at. When someone tries to get into my machine, I

How exactly do RedHat users attract the attention of crackers?  You make it
sound like the crackers are going through some list saying "HeEeey!  A
RedHat user!"  My experience is more that the crackers are scanning for
lprng, FTP, named, and portmapper (among others) looking for vulnerable
systems, and targeting those.

No matter what distribution you're using, if you're running a vulnerable
network-accessable daemon, you're targeted...

Sean
--
 This mountain is PURE SNOW!  Do you know what the street value of this
 mountain is!?!                -- Better Off Dead