[lug] IBM doesn't appear to be making many friends

Keith C. Herold herold at cslr.Colorado.EDU
Fri Apr 20 20:20:32 MDT 2001

More to the point:  what is Apple's market focus?  Taken a look at their ads
over the last few years (ignoring for the moment the cube silliness).  This
kind of approach is perfect; IBM most likely *wants* linux mainstreamed, to
beat windows down.  Non-tech people are afraid of linux's complexity (sorry,
but windows is easier for the nontechnically inclined); convince them that
linux is their buddy and see what happens.

Besides, as someone pointed out, the reason they are ex-hippies is they sold
out to 'The Man'.  Now they have jobs, and money, and houses, and families,
and pets ... etc.

Nostalgia as a marketing plan works.

--Keith