[lug] where do i start

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Apr 23 11:22:27 MDT 2001

No problem at all!  Nothing to be sorry for...  Just lots to think about!

RedHat 7.1 is out now, although not in stores yet.  The mirror sites are
pretty overloaded right now, but perhaps someone here on the mailing
list could offer a CD of it to y'all there for the school -- it's free
to download, of course, but you get some tech support from RedHat if you
buy a copy.  Up to you guys.  (Personally I've never found RedHat's tech
support to be all that helpful, but maybe they've gotten better.)

Sean and Kevin here on the list also works with tummy.com that have their
own Linux distribution called KRUD (Kevin's Uber Redhat Distribution I
think...) that they sell that has lots of patches and useful stuff added
if you like how RedHat does things -- and a lot of people here on the
BLUG list run KRUD.  (heh heh)

I like Debian Linux, but it's a fairly difficult install (the folks
working on the installer appear to be making great headway on making it
easier for the next couple of releases) and I wouldn't recommend it for
a first-time Linux setup without some help.  The installer asks too many
difficult questions for someone brand new to Linux right now -- perhaps
in the future they'll have a "don't ask me all this stuff" option.

A friend at work like SuSE Linux, and others are BSD fanatics, which
acts similar to any Unix, but isn't really Linux -- there are LOTS of
possibilities here...

Anyway, Samba is fairly easy to set up, but will require some background
reading to get it the way you want it.  It'll do file-sharing and
printer-sharing for your network if that's what you're looking to do!

Definitely keep letting us know how you're doing -- we're all a pretty
helpful bunch here on the BLUG list -- I have been having problems
getting to the meetings, but coming to the meetings is a good way to
meet helpful folks too -- stop on by sometime!

Talk to you later, gotta go run get some work done!

Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>