[lug] More Redhat worm discussion

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Apr 23 20:23:40 MDT 2001

I think the really nasty stuff I've heard about is a combination of
installing something like the lion worm and then using published LOCAL
exploits to get root once you're in as the named user.

The article probably forgoes talking about that as it's kinda obvious
that if you have a local user account you can probably find a way to
break things enough to become root, and two -- if it's from whitehats,
they probably didn't want to give a prescription/script-kiddie method of
gaining root on people's machines.

I'll leave out any mention of specific local buffer overflows available
to anyone who has a normal user account on RedHat -- but they're out
there.

Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>