[lug] newbie seeks www

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Tue Apr 24 09:38:06 MDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Jason Davis wrote:

> i just installed red hat linux 2.2.5-15. i am new to linux and still
> fairley new to computers. So my question is how do i get on line(www)?

I'm going to nit pick a bit.  Being on-line or connected to the
internet isn't exactly the same as making use of the web (www) which is
really just a communications protocol or language on the internet.

> Do i need to get a linux friendly i.s.p.(could someone suggest one?)?

Yes, you need an ISP.  The Linux friendly part is a bit hard to define.
The ISP usually only cares if you are planning on asking them how to
configure your Linux box.  Linux is able to communicate with any ISP that
uses a standard dialup interface.  You'd only have problems if you wanted
to use an ISP that has a proprietary interface.  For instance, I think
that AOL's dialup connection requires that you run their software, so that
means that they probably aren't a choice.

I'm a bit hesitant to "recommend" an ISP to you.  There are a fair number
to choose from, they all have their good and bad points, and you kind of
need to pick what you like and want to pay for.  You might check the
BLUG's local links web page <http://lug.boulder.co.us/locallinks.html> to
get some ideas.  Also check the adds in magazines such as Computer Edge. A
web search for Colorado ISP's is also certainly in order.  Some others
here on the list may also wish to make a few suggestions.

> How should i configure my modem? Any help would be greatly
> appreciated! Would trade licenced electrical work in boulder for linux
> help!!

Take a look at <http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html>.  You may
also want to try running a generic communications package such as minicom
to see if you can get the system to talk to the modem, and to see what
goes on when you dialup to your ISP.

Finally, ask questions here.  You can also come to our meetings (2nd
Thursday of each month) and ask questions there.  You can even bring your
machine in and get some hands-on help if need be.  Just give us a heads up
if you decide to bring in a machine.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)