Speaking of modem firewalls, was: Re: [lug] newbie seeks www

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Tue Apr 24 10:20:10 MDT 2001

Hi Dan,

  Speaking on firewalling a ppp interface, is it simply enough to
block SYM packets?  I suppose that wouldn't stop UDP requests, however
but of course those could be block separately.  I'm thinking something
like:

ipchains -P input ALLOW
ipchains -A input -j REJECT -p tcp -y -i ppp0 -s 0.0.0.0/0 -l
ipchains -A input -j REJECT -p udp    -i ppp0 -s 0.0.0.0/0 -l

Basically, if I don't want anything to be able to initialize a
connection across the ppp interface, is the above enough?  ( I
do want all communication to flow freely across the eth0 interface
which is only my home network. )

Scott