[lug] X/Gnome/Sawmill problem

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Apr 25 10:32:36 MDT 2001

Glenn> After Sean's presentation I got inspired to install linux on a
Glenn> laptop.  It's gone pretty well (I even have cardmgr running,
Glenn> though I don't know why) but I'm having, as usual, problems
Glenn> with Gnome and X:

cardmgr is nice. It's the thing that detects pcmcia cards and sets
them up/removes them for you. ;)

Glenn> I'm trying to run Sawmill as the window manager.  Gnome fires
Glenn> up with twm (I think) and the Control Center shows "Sawmill
Glenn> (Current)", but the "Run Configuration Tool for Sawmill" button
Glenn> does nothing.  I can't run sawmill-ui from the command line
Glenn> because it "can't call sawmill-client" and I can't run
Glenn> sawmill-client from the command line because it "can't open
Glenn> display".

check your ~/.xsession-errors file for clues.
It might be something that sawmill can't do or create.

A friend of mine had this exact problem and it turned out that
permissions/ownership were messed up for some /tmp file that sawmill
wanted to use.

kevin
--
Kevin Fenzi