[lug] X/Gnome/Sawmill problem

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Thu Apr 26 09:12:56 MDT 2001

That's good news (what is "sid", though?).  At CLUE I heard that
Debian KDE had made it to stable but had been pushed back into
"testing" after major tests had failed.

My whole point (and a lot of other desktop developer's, I presume) is
to have the desktop be a transparent working environment.  I want to
be thinking about my tasks, not where I'm running them.  When I was
using Win98 I wouldn't often forget it because it would occasionally
give me a blue-screen reminder.  Gnome is a little better than Win98,
but markedly inferior, in terms of stability (in my experience) than
Win2K.  Win2K has raised my expectations.

I was impressed enough by Kurt Granroth's KDE plug at CLUE to give KDE
a try, but "unstable" and "unofficial" are probably not going to give
KDE a fair chance.  In the meantime I'll just make do with Gnome.

By the way, I heard that Havoc Pennington from Gnome didn't make it to
CLUE due to an accident requiring a hand operation.  That sounds bad
for a programmer; I've also heard that RMS had severe CTS---maybe that
explains why he seems so cranky.  Any word on Havoc?

Glenn