[lug] X/Gnome/Sawmill problem

Kyle Moore kmoore at trustamerica.com
Thu Apr 26 09:34:16 MDT 2001

Glenn Murray wrote:

> My whole point (and a lot of other desktop developer's, I presume) is
> to have the desktop be a transparent working environment.  I want to
> be thinking about my tasks, not where I'm running them.  When I was
> using Win98 I wouldn't often forget it because it would occasionally
> give me a blue-screen reminder.  Gnome is a little better than Win98,
> but markedly inferior, in terms of stability (in my experience) than
> Win2K.  Win2K has raised my expectations.

My experience has been completely different. I have found my linux
workstations running Debian potato and Redhat 7.0 with Enlightenment and
Gnome to be entirely stable. In the years I have been running
Enlightenment I have only had it crash on me twice that I can remember
and it was the same thing both times. And those two times were a long
time ago.

I find this combination to be completely intuitive. I no longer have to
think about my window manager yet I can configure it however I wish.
Application windows don't clutter my desktop...each workspace has it's
own function and I switch between them without moving my hands from the
keyboard. The Enlightenment pager rocks.

On the other hand, I have many complaints about Win2k. It is more stable
than Win98 but that isn't saying much.

Please don't take this as a rant...I just wished to express my different
experiences with the same products.
--
Kyle Moore
UNIX SysAdmin