[lug] logger entry for punching hole for nameserver

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 26 09:42:29 MDT 2001

I *think* I can explain this.  If it's Redhat 7.1 and you specified a firewall at install time, it enables the rules found in /etc/sysconfig/ipchains.  A comment in that file says:

# Note: ifup-post will punch the current nameservers through the
#       firewall; such entries will *not* be listed here.

I interpret this to mean that it parses your /etc/resolv.conf and adds rules to allow UDP replies from port 53 on those servers.

You can run 'ipchains -L -n' as root to see those rules.

-John