[lug] aliases

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Thu Apr 26 10:44:54 MDT 2001

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, John Hernandez wrote:

> Nate Duehr wrote:
> >
> > Not with exim!
> >
> But he's running sendmail!  j/k :)

You beat me to the punch here.  The guy did explicitly ask how to fix the
problem with sendmail.

> Well, I've heard lots of talk about exim, but I have never tried to
> use it.  In what situations is exim preferable to sendmail?  What are
> the opinions of those who use it?  I'm trying to determine if it's
> worth my time to learn exim, despite my substantial time investment in
> mastering sendmail.

Exim is the default MTA under Debian.  I've run it for a little while and
had not real problems with it.  The one difficulty I had occured when I
tried setting up a mailman server on my box.  In the end, I simply decided
that I could make Postfix or Sendmail to what I wanted without spending
the time figuring out what I had mis-configured under
Exim.  Fundamentally, I'd say that Postfix, Exim, or Qmail are all very
good choices, and are easier to configure than Sendmail.  In 90% of all
cases these would be more than adequate.  The only reason I can think of
for using Sendmail would be if you had a very tricky configuration and
wanted to do lots of address munging.  Then I think Sendmail would be the
better choice since it seems to me you've got a lot more low level control
there.

That is my experience anyway, I'm not really a MTA expert though.  I get
them running, and then pretty much leave them alone.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)