[lug] CGI uploading via client-end code

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Apr 26 17:52:02 MDT 2001

caldodge at fpcc.net wrote:

> "D. Stimits" wrote:
> >
> > Out of curiosity, are you talking about a standalone program that won't
> > run from a web browser at all? And the server to be uploaded to is
> > running Linux? I'm not quite clear on what the requirements are, the
> > description seems a bit general.
>
> I'm looking for the simplest way to securely transfer blocks of data (10-60k in
> size) from a Microsoft Access application, to a server (which would record who,
> when, what, etc.), to another Access application (or, optionally, to a program
> which would import the data into PostgreSQL).
>
> It _had_ seemed to me that I could use wininet.dll plus VBA to handle the
> Access end (after exporting the desired records to a text file), and send the
> file (plus login information) via HTTPS to a PHP-based middleman.  So far I'm
> finding only frustration (aside from cgiupload.py - and for some reason I can't
> see the effective difference between that program (which works) and my code
> (which doesn't).  I guess I have to try to grok the appropriate RFC _again_ -
> maybe enlightenment (the concept, not the program) will strike me this time.
>
> I suspect I _might_ be able to use some function of IE4 or IE5 to do this, but
> some of our customers don't have either version of IE (so wininet.dll is the
> lowest common denominator) - AND I've learned (the hard way - is there any
> other?) to use as little of Microsoft's library as possible (don't want DLL
> Hell (tm), ya know).
>
> My other option is the send the data as one BIG POST variable, and that's
> looking more likely now.
>
> Sigh ... why can't programming be easy?

Under the circumstances, with https, I could only suggest complicated
answers. Just mixing two generations of browsers makes it tough, but it
sounds like you're also mixing linux web with windows apps. Now if you
can write a program to tell us why writing programs isn't easy, I'd be
impressed...at least if it is an informative answer (yes, that is a
trick question).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com