[lug] What is listening??

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Apr 28 14:54:39 MDT 2001

nunar at mauromedia.net wrote:

> tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*                     LISTEN

RPC == Remote Procedure Call. This is used in distributed services,
possibly it is being used for NFS if you allow your system to be remote
mounted. It is also the number 1 attack hack port I see. Almost every
crack attempt I see (going beyond just scans), as well as scans
themselves, hit this port. It's really bad to leave this open on the
outside world's input chain. Assuming you are not using
remote/distributed programs to go to the outside world, it isn't a bad
idea to kill even outbound traffic destined to port 111.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com