[lug] USPS & Linux

ljp ljp at llornkcor.com
Sat Apr 28 20:27:26 MDT 2001

At 19:58 4/28/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 07:03:15PM -0600, ljp wrote:
> > I just read an article in embedded linux journal (not online yet), that
> the
> > USPS is using 7000 linux systems for their OCR sorting system. And all
> this
> > time I thought all the mis sorted letters were software problems... :)
> > That and their buildings are all paid for, and they STILL manage to
> lose money.
>
>Yes, the Post Office has been using Linux for OCR for several years.
>
>http://www.linuxvar.org/Solutions/ocr.html

The embedded linux journal article goes into detail about the hardware.
Really nice detail.
Interesting for me, because I own a packaging/UPS/USPS/Mailbox type store,
and deal with all kinds of crazy mis-sorted letters, all the time. Not sure
if linux is responsible, but whatever unit stamps the bar codes needs to be
serviced or revamped. I'm really surprised it works at all, with all the
scribbled addresses out there.
:)

ljp