[lug] Big Brother taking over!

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Mon Apr 30 11:04:42 MDT 2001

At 10:47 AM 4/30/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Don't most common EULAs say this same thing.
>I've been web hosting a domain for almost a year now on two different
>services
>that had that in their aggreement and neither did anything about it.
>(Esp. since I put in ipchains rules)
>
>Is yours a commercial website?
>Does their commercial agreement say that as well?
>What makes it commercial then?

I am pretty careful about reading contracts (including acceptable use/EULA
agreements) before signing them. I prefer not to enter into an agreement
that I know I'm going to breach, since that can have bad side effects.

It seems like the ability to serve web is often the difference between a
'residential' and a 'commercial' service (for which you pay extra bux)My
experience with ISP's is that, if you pay for residential and then try to
get them to do interesting things with domain names, they will either (a)
figger out you're running a host or (b) require hours of handholding
through the DNS incantations. So it's worth my time to find an ISP that
actually understands and appreciates what I'm doing here. All of my prior
ISPs have had EULAs that did not prohibit web servers.

The web site is my company's 'alternate' web site www.cleansoft.net. I have
my 'primary' web site (www.cleansoft.com) commercially hosted for better
throughput and less downtime. But most hosts don't like to have you running
a listserv on their machine (as I do on cleansoft.net, for two community
organizations) so I maintain cleansoft.net for that purpose and also as my
playground for new technologies.

It is, by any definition, 'commercial' since its primary purpose is to
advertise my company's products and services.

The quote was lifted from the Sprint 'commercial' agreement. I have not
looked at their residential agreement.

-Mike