[lug] Seeking recommendations for revision control

Harris, James James_Harris at maxtor.com
Mon Apr 30 12:21:36 MDT 2001

Howdy everybody!

I'm looking for recommendations for the simplest, quickest to setup revision
control system that will work identically between Linux and Solaris and that
will be appropriate for managing edits to DNS zone files.  There are a bunch
of RC Systems out there that look like they could do the job, but I've never
used any of them, so I'd like to get everyone's recommendations based on
experience.

Specifically I'm looking for:
- Something that will lock the zone file when another user is in it (and
preferably report who is editing it.)  (We do utilize sudo here.)
- Something that will automagically backup and retain versions of the zone
files.
- Something that's not going to involve an enormous learning curve to use
(however, this is least important.)

Thanks all!