[lug] Seeking recommendations for revision control

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Mon Apr 30 12:35:36 MDT 2001

Hi James,

On my home machines, I use simple rcs ( man rcs, co and ci ) for
essentially what you describe for system configuration files.
Of course, I don't really worry about multiple access but I do
like to keep revisions of my changes so that I can easily get
back to a working state when I screw things up.

For example, in /etc I created an RCS directory.  Then before
editing any file, same "hosts", I do:

ci hosts RCS/hosts,v
co -l RCS/hosts,v hosts

One nice thing is that if you don't lock the checkout ( no -l flag ),
emacs is smart enough to provide one-click checkout ( until Bezos finds
out ).

Scott