[lug] Big Brother taking over!

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Apr 30 12:39:42 MDT 2001

"Holshouser, David" wrote:

> is DSL necessary for some reason?
>
> checkout www.sprintbroadband.com
> It is a RadioFrequency (2.4ghz range, is that still considered RF?) wireless
> technology that is available throughout the denver metro++ area that costs
> (after pricey setup fees) $45/mo.

Unfortunately it adds greatly to latency. Some people can tolerate that,
but there are several applications that can't. Getting the better costs
also seems to require long contracts.

> I've seen their unique diamond shaped 'dishes' all the way from north
> longmont down to southern highlands ranch.

This is available (from what I was told by a dealer in this service)
such that only the very southern parts of Longmont have it available.
There may be other services besides Sprint that are available elsewhere
though, or maybe the dealer was just unaware of the full coverage.

> I believe the garaunteed bandwidth is something like 256kbs up and 512kbs
> down (with download ranging up to 5mbs). I've heard the variation comes from
> their overall bandwidth usage. Since it is RF, I don't believe you are
> sharing quite like with a cable modem, but one person at work hear thought
> there may be something going on with the 'sharing' of frequencies.

Yes, it shares RF bandwidth, the way DSL shares phone circuit bandwidth.
The RF effects are stronger though. Spread spectrum technology is quite
nice though.