[lug] Seeking recommendations for revision control

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Apr 30 21:23:54 MDT 2001

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 12:21:36PM -0600, Harris, James wrote:
> Howdy everybody!
>
> I'm looking for recommendations for the simplest, quickest to setup revision
> control system that will work identically between Linux and Solaris and that
> will be appropriate for managing edits to DNS zone files.  There are a bunch
> of RC Systems out there that look like they could do the job, but I've never
> used any of them, so I'd like to get everyone's recommendations based on
> experience.
>
> Specifically I'm looking for:
> - Something that will lock the zone file when another user is in it (and
> preferably report who is editing it.)  (We do utilize sudo here.)
> - Something that will automagically backup and retain versions of the zone
> files.
> - Something that's not going to involve an enormous learning curve to use
> (however, this is least important.)
>
> Thanks all!

Never seen one pre-written for locking zone files, etc.  We wrote our
own Perl wrapper scripts around editing stuff and we touch a lock file
when someone else is doing something (like editing /etc/named.conf) that
would break things if two people are doing it... called the script
"vinamed" for example... checks for lockfile, writes lockfile, starts vi
on the appropriate file, when you save and exit cleans up the lockfile.
Probably has race conditions, but seems to work with a limited number of
people.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>