[lug] 8mm video vs. data tapes

jafo at tummy.com jafo at tummy.com
Mon Apr 30 23:19:36 MDT 2001

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 10:08:31AM -0600, Tkil wrote:
>So "data tape" might not be so different from "analog tape" after all.
>[ObConspiracy: I doubt that we'd ever get a straight answer from a
>tape manufacturer, however, since they can make more money by
>splitting the market and charging a premium.]

In 4mm DDS, there were some drives in IRIX boxes that would play audio
tapes as well as do data recording, and this lead to problems.  Apparently,
the audio tapes were fairly different from the data tapes (even though they
were both storing data), which caused a dramatic reduction in the life of
the drives.

Just something to think about...  I have no ideas about the 8mm stuff.

Sean
--
 Examine what is said, not who speaks.  (Arabian Proverb)