[lug] Voodoo2 Glide with 2.4 kernel and XFree86 4.0.3

qqq1one @yahoo.com qqq1one at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 23:53:10 MDT 2001

Has anyone succeeded in using Voodoo2 glide drivers
with the new kernel (2.4.x) and the latest XFree86
(4.0.3)?

Previously, I had the V2 Glide drivers working with my
2.2.x kernel/XFree86 3.3.6 system.  Then I updated
XFree86 to 4.0.2 and added the nvidia 0.9-769 drivers.
 That setup actually allowed the nvidia OpenGL drivers
to do hardware acceleration even though the V2 Glide
drivers still did hardware acceleration as well.

Then I wiped the disk, did a fresh install of RH7.1
(2.4.2-2 kernel and XFree86 4.0.3), added the nvidia
0.9-769 drivers, and added the V2 Glide drivers.  The
nvidia drivers still do HW acceleration, but the Glide
drivers bomb out with:

    gd error (glide): _GlideInitEnvironment:
libglide2x.so expected Voodoo, none detected
    gd error (glide): grSstSelect:  non-existent SST

And then a segmentation fault.  Are the V2 glide
drivers not compatible with the 2.4 kernel?