[lug] Linus's response to Mundie

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Fri May 4 10:56:58 MDT 2001

Unlike most of the slashdotters, I was disappointed with Linus's
comments in response Mundie's speach.  While I agree with almost
everything that he or ESR said about MS's FUD, I've yet to see
someone effectively address the issues that Mundie raises, namely
how does a corporation make money for its owners (stockholders)
while pursuing an open source software policy.  Which stock would
you rather your mother have her retirement tied up in, Microsoft's
or one of the Linux distro. supplier's?

I am not saying that it is not possible to make a business model
that succeeds while remaining true to the ideals of OSS, only that
I think that the rebuttals to Mundie need to address this issue.

Scott