[lug] Linus's response to Mundie

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Fri May 4 13:55:07 MDT 2001

You are probably correct that Linus is not the right
person to debate the point that Mundie brought up.
He does a good job of "remaining above it all" and
should continue to.

I had not seen Alan's comments yet when I posted this
originally, but having read them, I think that he did
a good job of addressing how OSS benefits business.

The point that I think needs to be made by the Linux
evangelists, is not just that OSS has clear benefits,
but that Mundie's statement that OSS hurts a commercial
business is also wrong.  I almost wish there was a
canned "How to make money in a GPL'ed world ( with
real-life examples )" response that could be made
to FUD such as MS's latest.

Did you see that even CNN picked up Mundie's speech?
http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/industry/05/04/microsoft.linux.reut/index.html

Scott