[lug] Linux as a router for 2 DSL lines.

Jason Vallery vallery at colorado.edu
Fri May 4 19:29:09 MDT 2001

I was just sitting around talking with my neighbor that a share a duplex with and we were discussing the possibilities of sharing our bandwidth. We both have DSL from qwest coming into our homes, both using qwest.net as our ISP. We both have the external Cisco 675 modem. What are the chances of setting up a Red Hat machine to act as a router for our home networks so that we can share both DSL lines? My original thought was an approach similar to "shotgunning" an analog modem. Setting up the redhat machine with 3 NICs. One to each DSL modem and the third to our home networks then using a DHCP server on the redhat machine to assign IPs to the internal network and to route the traffic. The way the 675 works with qwest.net is that it acts as a DHCP server and assigns a 10.0.0.X address to anyone on its network requesting one, and then it gets a routable 60.*.*.* IP from qwest's DHCP server. Unfortunately I am not familiar with IP chains and port forwarding (Which is what I imagine it would take to accomplish this). So does anybody have any suggestions on how this could be pulled off?

Thanks

Jason Vallery