[lug] question about dd

Steve Casal steve_casal at hotmail.com
Sun May 6 09:55:12 MDT 2001

Hi,
    I would like to create a file that's an image of exactly what I want on
a given hard disk. In other words I want to specify the exact contents of
each sector of the given drive. I would think that I should be able to
create some kind of file that can act as an "image" of the drive and then
use dd to get this so called image on the drive. Unfortunately, I'm not very
familiar with dd and have never done anything like this before. I'm hoping
someone can give me an idea of how to accomplish this.

Steve