[lug] question about dd

Steve Casal steve_casal at hotmail.com
Sun May 6 11:53:28 MDT 2001

Thanks for your help. I'm aware of the issues you raised but I plan on
creating EVERY sector that will go on the disk. To be more specific, I won't
be using a known filesystem. This is a proprietary filesystem that I'm
making. I guess what I really want is your command with the file and hd
reversed ... kind of like this:

dd if=file of=/dev/hd<n>

The question I was having is if I need any other command line options and
from the looks of things I may not. The other quesiton is, can I just create
a binary file that contains a byte for each available byte on the disk and
they use the dd command above?

Thanks for your help.

Steve