[lug] Prism II Driver, Success Report.

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Tue May 8 05:36:31 MDT 2001

I've had problems with the PrismII driver (for 802.11b wireless) that was
in the pcmcia_cs package.  Mostly involving a lack of ability to run in
Adhoc mode, and locking up when I was transferring large amounts of data.
Where "large" at one point was 4MB.  It would lock up for around 30 seconds
every 3MB I transferred.

Just wanted to pass along that I've been using 2.4.4 on my new laptop, and
the "orinoco" driver that comes with the kernel seems to be working great.
I've transferred a few GB of data across it, and it's running even faster
than the old driver.  Over 600KB/sec...  No lockups at all.  I was also
able to run Adhoc with this driver, though I haven't tested that very hard.

Basically, just make sure you build it with the kernel, then change
"wvlan_cs" to "orinoco_cs" in "/etc/pcmcia/config" and restart the PCMCIA
stuff.

Enjoy,
Sean
--
 Reading computer manuals without the hardware is as frustrating as reading
 sex manuals without the software.  -- Arthur C. Clarke