[lug] Setting up Apache Server

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Tue May 8 22:24:38 MDT 2001

Kirk Ellsworth wrote:

> I am setting up a Real Estate site for my wife with
> Redhat 7.1 and the latest apache with mysql.  Any
> recommendations for hardware and optaining a static
> IP?

IMHO you want a 3Com or Intel NIC in it - I've kinda soured on Netgear (not to
mention NICs which use the "stunningly bad" RTL8139 chipset).

I'll let others chime in on the other components (except to say that memory is
DIRT CHEAP right now, so grab at least a 256 meg DIMM if the motherboard
supports it).

> Also any good MYSQL books out there?  Is there
> something better than MYSQL for this web/database?

At the risk of starting a flame war, I'd say "try PostgreSQL". It appears (to
some benchmarkers, at least) to be running as fast as MySQL when lightly
loaded, and it doesn't seem to suffer the problems MySQL has when heavily
loaded.  If you get PostgreSQL, be sure to download the latest Red Hat RPMs
from a PostgreSQL mirror, rather than using the RPMs which come with RH 7.1.
Why?  Because that way you'll get PostgreSQL 7.1, which no longer has a limit
on row sizes.

And if you go that route, feel free to ask me any questions about it.  I'm
using it at work now, and "learning the ropes" in interfacing it with PHP.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)