[lug] Newbie X-window questions

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Wed May 9 17:28:58 MDT 2001

Glenn> This X terminology is just about opaque.

Yes, it can be.  12+ years of experience has made me a little better
at it, but not by much....

Glenn> I want for example, to open a window on mine in which the stuff
Glenn> happening is on her computer.

This is totally different from one of your other requests, and this
one is pretty easy.  Assuming that X is running on "mine", and that
you're in an xterm/rxvt/eterm/similar on "mine", you should only have
to:

   mine$ ssh hers
   hers$ xterm &

This should pop open an xterm to the display on "mine".

Glenn> E.g., if I type "mine$ netscape&" I'll get netscape with her
Glenn> bookmarks, etc.

The bookmarks you see when you launch Netscape are determined by the
username (typically, netscape reads ~/.netscape/bookmarks.html).  So,
if you want to see her bookmarks, you'll have to either log in as her,
or copy her bookmark file into your own directory.

If you have her login and password, you can just:

   mine$ ssh her at hers
   hers$ netscape &

But now you're really executing this as her, on her machine.

If all you want to do is share bookmarks, use the bookmark export/
import functionality for that.

Glenn> Could this be a packet filtering problem?

As someone else pointed out, this is unlikely on a home LAN.  If this
LAN is not behind a firewall, however, I would strongly discourage you
from using anything other than ssh tunnelling for X connections....

t.