[lug] What's up with the NIST time servers

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Wed May 9 21:47:09 MDT 2001

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:

> For the last 2 years or so I had very reliable results with
> synchronizing my computers to the NIST time service at
> time-b.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov.  During last few months however I noticed
> that those servers are rarely available anymore. Are those machines
> too overloaded at this time or is there something else that I should
> be aware of?

	I second this concern... I have been noticing the same behaviour
recently as well. I finally found time.nist.gov to be at least usable most
of the time, but now and then rdate will time out when attempting to
connect to it.

> Just curious what might be going on - so far I was always able to find a
> reliable time source one way or another.

	As am I.... I am about ready to buy one of the those radio clocks
that keep their time synced to WWVB and have an RS232 output to connect to
one of my boxes, and have it act as a local time server. Too bad such a
box costs $200 to $300....

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |