[lug] Newbie X-window questions

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Thu May 10 10:53:44 MDT 2001

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 10:14:03AM -0600, Glenn Murray wrote:
> This seems like a good idea: I didn't know VNC was an X server.  So
> you can run Gnome, KDE, whatever on it, right?
>
> I think the big    advantage is recreating your work desktop at home.
> I think the big disadvantage is recreating your work desktop at home.
>
> How well does or would this work over a 56K line (which tends to
> connect at 31.2K)?

Well, i once fixed an aplication running under X on a server in
Denver from here (south Germany). It worked pretty well, despite
the rather high latency. One problem i _did_ encounter was a strange
resizing feedback loop due to the latency. The window kept "pumping"
(i.e. changing it's dimensions back and forth) for quite a while.
But it worked after all, at least for debugging. I don't know whether
i'd want to spend more than half an hour on such a high latency
connection, but if latency is lower and bandwidth is the limiting
factor i could work well (depending on the apps you need to run-
an editor needs much less traffic than gimp ...).

 Ralf