[lug] NIST servers and the RDATE problem

Judah Levine jlevine at clock.bldrdoc.gov
Thu May 10 18:28:02 MDT 2001

I have not been able to find any documentation on Linux RDATE beyond
confirming that it does use the time protocol, which contacts
our servers using udp/ip port 37.  This is not a robust protocol,
but it should work -- at least our servers will respond to a
request in this format.
I don't know what is wrong, since I don't have a Linux system
and I don't have the source code. However, if any of you will
send the source code for rdate to me I will look at it and see if
I can see anything obviously broken. It would be most helpful
if you sent the source code as a simple e-mail text message (not as
an attachment or in binary) to jlevine at boulder.nist.gov.

Judah Levine
Time and Frequency Division
NIST Boulder