[lug] Wireless ISP - Sprint Broadband

Ryan Kirkpatrick rkirkpat at rkirkpat.net
Fri May 11 18:07:19 MDT 2001

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Nate Duehr wrote:

> On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 08:00:20PM -0600, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
> > 	Glad to know that I was not the only one who noticed that! I
> > was going crazy trying to find the problem with my systems, especially
> > when ssh and ftp were still working. Also, usually on Sunday afternoons I
> > often see long delays between connecting to web sites and any data being
> > sent back. Appears they still have a little work do on their high load
> > handling. :)
>
> Are they transparently proxying HTTP traffic?  Perhaps that would explain
> the HTTP outage and the high response times on HTTP stuff on weekends
> during heavy load.

	My gut reaction would be no, but I double checked anyway... Hit my
offsite website from my home boxes, and then looked in the access logs.
Guess what? Yep, transparent HTTP proxy is in place on Sprint's BBD
service. My web logs showed connections from codvedca01.co.sprintbbd.net
(24.221.208.16) when my home boxes hit the web server. That indeed
explains the outages on heavy load, the proxy acts a bottle neck killing
the connection. :(
	Though, to their credit, I do have to say that save for high load
situations, it is a very well configured web proxy. I have used
transparent and non-transparent web proxies in the past, and it was always
dead obvious that I was using them (slow load times, out of date pages,
general weirdness, etc...). Until I tested as above, I did not even
suspect that they were running a proxy.
	During high load times though, my SSH connections run fine, so I
think a VPN tunnel to my web server might be in order for avoiding high
load outages. :)

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |