[lug] AT&T CABLE MODEM

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Mon May 14 10:55:20 MDT 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Ferdinand Schmid said:

>Also:  Did you try to use Yast2 to configure your network card?  What type
>of configuration did you pick.  I assume the cable modem wants to do dhcp.
>So you'll need to configure your card for that.  If your card configuration
>is corrupt you can shut down your computer and remove the card.  Then boot
>up - this will remove the card configuration.  Then shut down again, remove
>the card and boot back up.  Yast (either Yast1 - the text utility or Yast2
>- the graphical utility) will now show you the card that the system
>detected.  Then use Yast to configure your card for dhcp and enter the AT&T
>gateway and DNS info.  Just click around Yast2 a bit and you'll find what
>you are looking for.  I really found Yast the best and easiest Linux
>configuration tool to date!  Yast2 is still a bit buggy but Yast1 works
>beautifully.

Actually, you should only have to edit /etc/rc.config:

IPADDR_0="192.168.1.108"
IPADDR_1=""
IPADDR_2=""
IPADDR_3=""

#
# network device names (e.g. "eth0")
#
NETDEV_0="eth0"
NETDEV_1=""
NETDEV_2=""
NETDEV_3=""

IFCONFIG_0="dhcpclient"

I believe that the last line above overrides the

IPADDR_0="192.168.1.108"

line above it, so it's irrelevant what you put for IPADDR_0=

I used that configuration successfully at two different sites.  Both had
the Linksys router installed.  One was subscribed to AT&T '@home'.  Worked
fine.